Hangry: a state of anger caused by hunger
See also, “hanxiety” the panic and aftermath of being hangry. Followed by apologies to friends, family, and co-workers.
Here are my favorite finds – all nutrient packed and energizing, while gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free. I hope they rescue you from getting hangry on your next trip!
1. Good ‘n’ Real – Cranberry Orange Granola – This stuff is crunchy, filling, and delicious. Orange zest, (gluten-free) buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, nuts, vanilla bean. Yum. It’s 120 calories for ⅓ of a cup and only 1 gram of sugar (from raw honey, dates, apples!).
2. Artisana Organic Raw Almond Butter – When you need something heavy, comforting, and rich – this is your go-to snack. Even if you don’t have an apple or banana to put this on – it’s delicious right out of the packet, especially in a pinch when you’re flying etc.
3. Living Intentions Gone Nuts Rosemary Garlic Pistachios & Almonds – These are awesome for two reasons. 1) The pouch contains raw pistachios, sprouted almonds, along with organic herbs and spices – the ingredients are high quality and you can taste it. 2) They are very fragrant – this rosemary scent will wake you up (for real – smelling rosemary can make you more alert).
4. Amazing Grass Green Superfood Cacao Infusion – These are lifesavers when fresh pressed juice is not available. Pour a packet into a bottle of water and shake it up. If you need a bit of sweetness, add 1/2 cup of coconut water (Harmless Harvest is the best!). The individual servings come nutrient-packed with all your major greens, along with probiotics for a happy stomach. If you have a dessert craving, mix a packet with almond milk and it’s a healthy chocolate shake anytime.
5. Wellshire Original Tom-Tom’s Turkey Snack Sticks – These are easily my boyfriend’s favorite travel snack. They are 99% natural (a bit of casing) with only 1 gram of sugar. Flavorful and filling. No antibiotics and no preservatives.
6. Organic Veggie-Go’s Chewy Fruit & Veggie Snacks – These are the answer to adult fruit roll-ups. Our favorite flavor is Mountain Berry Spinach. It includes (all organic) spinach, apples, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and sweet potatoes. One snack is 15 calories and 2 grams of sugar. Perfect when you want something sweet and chewy.
Oh, by the way
PS: Need more healthy food ideas? Here’s the travel snack list from last summer!